05 March 2010

The Friday 56

I found this via my lovely wife's blog of randomness and she found it on Shiloh Walker's blog who found it at The Bookaholic Zone who got it from Storytime With Tonya & Friends which, as far as we can tell, seems to be the originator.


Rules:

* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
*Post a link along with your post back to this blog.

* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


Equally distant from me are the Final Fantasy Tactics Strategy Guide, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and my PRS-505 e-reader. The FFT Guide is slightly closer than the others but page 56 only has four sentences. And since the 505 has hundreds (or at least dozens) of books, I think I'll go with Twain's classic:

"All mines were royal property, and there were a good many of them. They had formerly been worked as savages always work mines--holes grubbed in the earth and the mineral brought up in sacks of hide by hand, at the rate of a ton a day; but I had begun to put the mining on a scientific basis as early as I could."

I love this book. I haven't read all of Twain's works yet ("Joan of Arc" is next in line) but this is my favorite so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment